This is the email I received from our principal regarding the boy who swears at Sydney:
Mrs. Harp
Sorry this is reaching you so late. I started writing a reply to this last Thursday but something went wrong with my computer. Anyway, the tech people were here today and I am back up.
I talked to Billy about this situation and explained to him that inappropriate language is unacceptable. He said that he didn’t say anything and that others were with him at recess and that they didn’t hear anything. I told him that regardless, inappropriate language would not be tolerated and that if it came up again I would be dealing with it with more severe consequences. This turns out to be a case of “he said versus she said”. Mrs. Chaco knows that if there is another problem that I need to talk to any students right away.
As far as the zero-tolerance policy within Battle Ground School District, we have this adopted currently. The complications with a zero-tolerance policy are that it sometimes takes the element of appropriate consequences from an investigation out of the hands of the principal. I prefer to deal with each incident based on its merits and then use a progressive discipline style. Meaning that the more a student has problems the more severe the consequences. For example, if a student pushes another student in line then I would deal with it with appropriate consequences, rather than following a zero tolerance policy which may state the student be suspended.
I hope this helps explain how I deal with students at Glenwood.
And this is what I had to say back to him:
Eric,
Thanks for getting back to me. Of course he is going to say he didn't say anything, you are the principal! There is a child in the class that has heard Billy swear at Sydney, I know this because I asked the kid when he was over playing at our house.
So in all honesty the way Eric Jensen was dealt with was appropriate? He threatened to kill my daughter on several occasions and the only thing that came of it was they were to stay away from each other at all times. In any other school he would have been suspended or kicked out. This child obviously should not be in a classroom with other children. He throws tantrums and the class has to leave so Mr. Blue can deal with him. He has to take the WASL with Mr. Blue because he can't handle taking tests. This child is a disruptive influence on the whole class. The zero tolerance policy is very effective, especially for children who are disruptive. Common sense is not something everybody has. Was common sense being used when that kid killed all those kids at Columbine? or the Adult who killed all the college students at Virginai Tech? Do we seriously need this to happen to an elementary school with 3rd graders?& nbsp; This policy is around for a reason and serioulsy needs to be adopted by this school. It will be a sad day in the Battle Ground School district when a young child comes to school with a gun and kills his classmates. This needs to be taken more serious and I'm afraid no one cares enough to protect MY child.
What happened to the rules in the handbook? On page 9 it clearly states:
First Offense: All incidents will be documented and the parents of the alleged victim and offender will be notified. Depending on the seriousness, the discipline could range from a conference with the offender to make him/her aware of the problem to Saturday school, after school work program, short term suspension, long term suspension.
2nd offense: All incidents will be documented and the parents of the alleged victim and offender will be notified. Depending on the seriousness, the discipline could range short term suspension, long term suspension, or expulsion.
3rd offense: All incidents will be documented and the parents of the alleged victim and offender will be notified. The offender is subject to short term suspesion, long term suspension or expulsion. Now obviously my daughters life being threatened was not serious enough because he was still at school. And that shows me that this school does not care about the safety of my child or any other child in it. This is reason enough to adopt the zero tolerance policy.
Jill Harp
2 days ago




5 comments:
Man, what a nightmare. I understand what the principal is saying about how Zero Tolerance isn't always the answer for every situation. But clearly not enough is being done to convey to this kid and his parents that saying you're going to kill someone with a gun is never acceptable. With the social climate we live in today, as a parent it's hard to feel like you can ever put your defense down. You can't just assume this kid is just being a kid. He needs to sit down with a school psychologist and see where his head is at before they just dismiss it as harmless.
Oh I agree that zero tolerance isn't for every situation. Take his example for instance, a child pushing another child in line, would just fall to the teacher to take action. That to me is not a big deal. Telling another child you will kill them with a gun...big deal! I want to know what he has to say about the email I sent back to him!
I sent you my address. Sorry it took so long:)
Hi Jill! It is Jennifer Fager from Vancouver. I found your blog through the Redferns. I don't know if you remember me or not because we moved like 13 years ago (long time)!!!! Anyway, you have an adorable family! I am sorry you hare dealing with dumb teachers and principles. Doesn't sound like any fun!!! Here is the link to my blog, if you want to see who I am=)
www.princessbordega.blogspot.com
Hey Jill I got your invite today and I will for sure be there. Thursday's is normally my step class but I can sacrifice going for one night. I had never heard of that company before and I looked it up on the computer and I can't wait to see stuff in person. Are kids allowed if I can't find a sitter?
Post a Comment