Friday my best friends hubby was going to fix my oil leak in my car. My kids were going to go to my Grama's while I was gone (not a good idea to bring kids to an auto shop and wait 2 hours!). But around 11:30 that morning Brandon called and said he wouldn't have time to do it, no problem saves me a bit of money til next week! So we decide to still go over to my grama's and visit with her. My Grampa passed away 2 years ago and she is alone.
While we are there grama wants me to do something for her on the computer, so we are messing with the computer and Sydney is in the front room and so is Zander. Well after a few minutes of messing on the computer for her, Zander walks in holding a bottle of Spic n Span, his mouth has dried white stuff all over it and he is sucking from the bottle! I calmly panic, give the bottle to my grama and go out to the front room where the kitchen is and start looking for a phone book. I have no idea what the number is for poison control and proceed to look in the Ps for poison! Finally realizing I'm not in the right area I think to look in the front of the book. No luck.
SO I CALL 911.
Zander the whole time is laughing , goofing around and trying very hard to get out of my arms. I will not let him go for fear he may drop into a coma or something. So I'm on the phone with 911 and tell them that I can't find the number for poison control because my son has drank Spic n Span. She connects me to poison control and says she will stay on the line till she knows if we need and ambulance or not.
HOLY CRAP, AN AMBULANCE!
But the wonderful poison control lady, Patty, said we did not need an ambulance!
YEA!!
So I tell her everything that I know about how long he had been drinking it, She asked how much was on the bottle to begin with, grama says very little and that is still how much remained. (Oh and the whole time I'm on the phone my grama keeps telling me to stick my finger down his throat so he will puke...yuck...the P.C lady said don't induce vomiting)! She tells me the main ingredient is water, so the solution is very diluted anyways. So he may get an upset stomach and throw up on his own. And if he does do any of this it will be within a half hour of ingesting the stuff. So we hang up with the P.C lady and we get ready to leave! My poor grama tells me over and over again how sorry she was. But it was NOT her fault! None of us were watching him. And she doesn't have child proof locks and there is really no reason she needs them (she may not be able to get into the drawer herself!!).
So we go home and I watch him like a hawk to makesure he is not having any kind of reaction to this stuff. 30 minutes pass and no puking! We go the rest of the day with no puking!
YEA!!
Around 8:00 that night another Poison control lady calls me to check on Zander. She wants to make sure he is ok and to see if there was any reaction to the Spic n Span. We tell her all was well and nothing happened.
~ So here is where I tell Brandon THANK YOU for cancelling the appointment to work on my car. I don't even want to imagine what could have happened had I left the kids. My grama or Sydney probably would not have known what to do and it could have been worse...much worse.
~and I called Brandon to tell him too, he was glad he could help!!
And grama, I love you , you are the best!
***on a side note I should add that a few weeks ago Tim came to me and told me we needed to move our poisons from under the sink to a locked cupboard. So I rearranged some upper cupboards and put them and the meds up high and bought a magnetic child proof lock. Granted it wasn't our cupboards he had envisioned, but still better safe than sorry***




7 comments:
My friend had a similar scare when her kid drank some Tylenol. However she didn't call poison control, she took him straight to the ER. There they told her it was fine and she should have just called PC. Whoops, that was an expensive mistake!
oh my goodness!!! Glad Zander is okay and you didn't have to take a ride in the ambulance!
good job on the background! Pretty easy, eh?
Funny, I just barely did it!
Yikes! Glad he is okay!
Just click on my ipod at the bottom. it should take you to the site where I get my music. Just type in "Love Doesn't Ask Why". You will have to go through several to find one that works.
That's so scary. We called poison control I swear once a week when Taylin was younger, we probably had the number on speed dial. Just kidding. I love your new background its so cute
Post a Comment