CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Jenny McCarthy...Mother Warriors

I just finished reading Jenny McCarthy's book Mother Warriors. It is by far the best book I have ever read. As some of you may know her son Evan, was diagnosed with Autism. She has since recovered him. There are several Mother Warriors in this book who have fought for their kids who are autistic...they have beaten the odds. These children were vaccinated and shortly there after started to have major medical problems. I encourage you to read this book. Here are a few excerpts from her book:
"We doctors need to stop deceiving our patients into thinking that immunizations are "free." Every medical intervention costs the body something, and we have a legal and moral obligation to tell parents."
Jay N. Gordon, M.D., F.A.A.P., I.B.C.L.C., F.A.B.M
Assistant Clinical Professor of Pediatrics,
UCLA Medical Center
Former Senior Fellow in Pediatric Nutrition,
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Institute

"I was sitting in an airport recently watching a little boy, about the age of ten, scream and flap his arms while running around in circles. People all around the terminal were staring at him and shaking their heads, looking disgusted. The woman next to me leaned over to her friend and said, "Geez, can't that lady control her kid?" My heart sank as I watched this mom chase her uncontrollable screaming child through the airport while getting dirty looks form people. She pulled toy after toy out of her bag, hoping that one toy might hold her child's attention, but nothing would calm him down. It was obvious to me that it was autism, but to all the people in the terminal, he just looked like an obnoxious, misbehaving boy. The woman next to me kept whispering to herself, "Shut up, you little brat." I could feel my blood pressure rising and was ready to explode on her with the next comment she made. "Is it take-your-spoiled-brat-to-the-airport-day?" the woman said. I leaned over and firmly said, "That child has autism, he's not a brat. He can't control his behavior and you shouldn't be judging that mother." The woman replied, "How can you tell its autism? He just looks like a screaming brat." As I gave her my lecture on autism and told her about some of the signs like flapping of the hands and other stims, or repetitive motions, I began to think about how these kids don't have physical characteristics that make them look unique. Down syndrome has a particular look that makes it easier for people to identify. Autism looks like a spoiled child being raised by a mother who has no control."
Jenny McCarthy

0 comments: